Apaches, Squires fall in first-round action

Wabash County teams didn’t fare well at the Bluffton Sectional with both the Wabash Apaches and the Manchester Squires bowing out in the first round. Wabash lost to Whitko Tuesday, March 2, and Adams Central upset Manchester Wednesday, March 3.

Whitko 56, Wabash 48

The Apaches didn’t have an answer for Whitko’s Drake Lewis and Brett Sickafoose, as the Wildcats outscored Wabash 29-15 in the middle two quarters, on its way to a 56-48 win Tuesday, March 2.

Lewis scored 34 points, while Sickafoose put 17 points on the board, combining for 51 of Whitko’s 56 points.
Wabash opened the game with a strong start, leading 14-11 at the end of the first quarter.

Whitko responded in the second quarter, outscoring the Apaches 14-4 in the second quarter, to take a 25-15 halftime lead.

The Wildcats lead jumped to 40-30 after three quarters and Whitko held a 48-40 lead in the final 90 seconds.

With 1:25 left in the game, Jasper Walter nailed a three-pointer for Wabash to cut it to 48-43, but that was as close as the Apaches could get.

Contrasting Whitko’s two-player attack, the Apaches, as they have all season, had a balanced stat sheet.

Walter and Leland each scored 14 points to lead Wabash, with Leland hitting four three-pointers and Walter hitting two from outside the arc. Walter added two rebounds, two assists, and two steals, while Leland had one rebound and one assist.

Izaak Wright had seven points and seven rebounds, followed by Trevor Daughtry with six points and two rebounds, Bryant Boggs with four points, three assists, two rebounds, and two steals, and Dave Ford with three points and three rebounds.

Kolton Wilson handed out two assists.

The Apaches ended the season with a 7-16 overall record, winning their last three games.

Adams Central 73, Manchester 70

Adams Central hit Manchester early and hard, then withstood a furious Squire comeback, and held on for a 73-70 win Wednesday, March 3.

Adams Central exploded in the early minutes, scoring the first 10 points, and not allowing Manchester to get on the board in the first 4 1/2 minutes.

The Flying Jets scored off of three Manchester turnovers in that span, while defensively, focused a tight zone defense and pressure on the outside.

Manchester’s Brayden Jones got the Squires on the board with 3:24 left in the first quarter on a rebound and put-back, and Manchester played evenly over the next seven minutes, trailing 22-17 with 4:38 left in the half.

Adams Central outscored the Squires 15-5 to take a 37-21 lead into the locker room.

Manchester came back with a vengeance in the second half with a full-court press that gave the Flying Jets trouble.

The Squires went on a 17-3 run in the first 4:47 of the third quarter to cut the lead to 40-38.

Adams Central regrouped and extended the lead to 55-44 early in the fourth quarter and held a 62-53 advantage with 2:47 left in the game.

Maddox Zolman, who had struggled throughout the game from three-point range, finally got hot and hit three-three-pointers in a 1:19 span to cut the lead to 68-65 with 1:18 remaining.

With 23.1 seconds left and Adams Central up 71-67, Zolman hit another three-pointer to cut it to 71-70.

After two Adams Central free throws, the Squires had one last chance to tie the game, and Zolman got a good look at the basket from 25-feet out, but his three-point attempt was off the mark as the buzzer sounded.

The Squires finished the season with a 12-9 record.

Posted on 2021 Mar 09