Squires capture soccer title

CULVER -- It was a game that Squire soccer fans will not soon forget.

After 90 minutes of play with out a winner and 14 more minutes of overtime, the Manchester Squire boys soccer team outscored Culver Academy 4-2 in penalty kicks for a 5-4 win to claim the program's first sectional title.

The eighth-ranked Squires remained undefeated at 18-0 with the win and will compete for a regional title this Saturday at Oak Hill High School.

“This is awesome,” Manchester coach Dave McKee said. “I just stood there and watched all the players dog pile on Sam (Reichenbach) … and all the bleachers clear. I got real emotional.”

Reichenbach clinched the win with Manchester's fourth goal on penalty kicks.

Both teams felt each other out over the first 15 minutes of play before the scoreboard started lighting up.

Harley Kruschwitz gave Manchester and early lead with a goal at the 23:16 mark by cutting through defenders and scoring unassisted for a 1-0 lead.

Four minutes later Kruschwitz took another shot that was saved, but Caleb Stout was there for the follow, giving the Squires a 2-0 lead with 19:22 left in the half.

Culver cut the lead to 2-1 with a goal at the 7:29 mark but Stout scored again 90 second later to get the Squire lead back to two goals at 3-1.

Culver made it 3-2 going into halftime with a goal with 1:40 left in the half.

The second half was played at a more deliberate pace with neither team finding the goal in the first 19 minutes.

Culver then tied the game up at 3-3 with a goal that got just past the fingertips of Manchester goalie Dillon Gish with 20:30 left in regulation.

The score remained 3-3 at the end of 90 minutes sending the game to two seven-minute overtime periods.

In the first overtime stretch, Kruschwitz scored with his left foot as he was slipping, putting the ball over the Culver keeper's hands with 4:56 left.

In the second overtime period, Culver tied it up at 4-4 on a long free kick that hit the post and bounced in with 5:53 left. The score remained 4-4 and the teams went to penalty kicks.

Manchester started the rotation with Justin Self scoring for a 1-0 lead.

After a Culver miss, Stout made it 2-0 with a goal.

Culver tied it up at 2-2 with two goals and a stop on an Owen Kruschwitz attempt.

Harley Kruschwitz put the Squires back on top with a goal for a 3-2 lead.

Gish then made a key stop on a Culver shot to give Reichenbach a chance to clinch the win.

Reichenbach scored to give the Squires the sectional title and the celebration began.

“This is probably the toughest sectional we've had,” McKee said. “We drew a strong team first in Canterbury, and we played Marion the week before that really helped us so much.

“These guys have worked hard to get this.”

Manchester improved to 18-0 and will face 12th-ranked Leo at 10 a.m. at the Oak Hill Regional.

MHS semifinals

Led by three goals from Harley Kruschwitz, the Class 2A eighth-ranked Manchester Squire boys soccer team defeated two-time defending Class 1A state champion Canterbury 4-0 Wednesday, Oct. 9 in the second round of the Culver Academy.

Dyson Rosen got the Squires on the board in the first three minutes of the contest on an assist from Caleb Stout.

Later in the half, Kruschwitz scored on an unassisted goal, followed by two more unassisted goals in the second half.

The Squire defense held Canterbury to just one shot on goal for the night.


Wabash lost its opening round match of sectional Wednesday, Oct. 9 to third-ranked Lakewood Christian 3-0 at the Fort Wayne Blackhawk Sectional.

The Apaches had two shots missed in the first half while Lakewood scored three goals in the first half.

Wabash finished the season with a 10-5-1 record and 5-1 in Three Rivers Conference play to record the best season in the program's history. 

Posted on 2019 Oct 15