Knights advance to sectional finals

Southwood's Matthew Nose attempts to break free from an Eastside defender during the second quarter of the Knights' 51-19 win in the semifinals of the IHSAA Sectional 43. Photo by Joseph Slacian

By The Paper staff

For the second time in as many years, the Southwood Knights advanced to the finals of the IHSAA Sectional 43 finals on Friday night.

The Knights advanced with a 51-19 win over Eastside on Friday night.

Eastside threatened on its first possession, but the Knight defense stiffened and stopped the drive.

On its first possession, Southwood quarterback Carson Blair connected with Peyton Trexler on a 65-yard pass play, the first of five for the night for Blair.

Eastside battled back, finding the end zone on its next possession, cutting the score to 7-6.

That’s when Southwood took over, scoring 41 unanswered points in the next two and a half quarters.

Gabe Lloyd scored on the Knights’ ensuing possession, building a 14-9 lead.

In the second quarter, the Knights recovered an Eastside fumble to put together a scoring drive in which Blair found Trexler from 12 yards out. Four minutes later, Blair and Nathan Riggle connected on a six-yard pass play before Blair hit Matthew Nose from six yards out in the closing minute of the first half.

About three minutes into the third quarter, Blair scored on his own, running the ball in from the 19 yard line.

Later in the same quarter, Blair and Trexler connected from 20 yards out to build a 48-6 lead.

Eastside scored to open the final uarter,before Parker Mayx booted a 29-yard field goal to wrap up the Knights scoring.

Eastside scored in the final seconds to end the game 51-19.

Blair finished the night 18 of 27 for 332 yards and five touchdowns. He also gaind 85 yards on 11 carrieds and had another TD on the ground.

Lloyd had 70 yards on 19 carries with a TD.

Nose had nine receptions for 122 yards and a TD, while Trexler had six catches for 164 yards and three TDs.

Riggle ended the night with three catches or 46 yards and a TD.

The Knights travel to Monroe on Friday to battle Adams Central in the sectional final.

Adams Central (9-2) advanced to the finals with wins over South Adams and Churubusco, respectively, in the opening round and semi-final contest.

Kickoff is at 7 p.m.

Elsewhere, the Wabash Apaches fell in its semi-final sectional contest, losing to Woodlan 32-8.

The Apaches were held scoreless formuch of the game.

Wabash’s lone touchdown came on a 25-yard fumble return from Austin Haynes during the fourth quarter.

Devin Higdon scored on a two-point conversion to cut Woodlan’s leadto 25-9. Wabash ends the season with a 3-8 mark.

Posted on 2017 Oct 31