- By Gary Andrews
- The #4 Wabash Lady Apaches were taking on #8 Oak Hill for the Northfield sectional title Saturday. Wabash was in search of their 6th straight title, while Oak Hill was looking for their 5th title under head coach Todd Law. With a smothering defense and the offense clicking on all cylinders the Lady Apaches pulled away for a 54-35 repeat.
- Lyndsie Thomas would get the first bucket of the game before Oak Hill answered with buckets from Toni Lautzenheiser and Sammi Metzger to lead 4-2. Kyleigh Hampton would then hit, followed by another Thomas bucket to give Wabash the lead back at 6-4. Abby Scott would then connect for the Lady Eagles to knot the score at 6. Like a heavyweight boxing match it was punch and counter punch as Sarah Puckett hit and was answered by Lautzenheiser. Tied at 8, Thomas would find the bucket for the third time in the quarter, then the quarter ended on a Claire Cromer three to give Wabash a 13-8 lead after one.
- The Lady Apaches would carry their first quarter momentum in to the second. Lyndsie Thomas would hit a free throw that started an 11-0 run that wasn’t a knock out punch, but staggered the Eagles. Claire Cromer would bang home her second three, followed by two Thomas buckets and two free throws from Cromer to open a 24-8 lead. Oak Hill would get a free throw and a bucket to make it 24-11 when Cromer hit again, followed by a Thomas free throw. An Oak Hill three ended the quarter with Wabash leading 27-14 at the half.
- Kyleigh Hampton would hit to start the third, but the Lady Eagles put together a 6 point run to get the Wabash lead to single digits at 29-20. Again it would be Thomas who would settle things down with a bucket that Oak Hill answered to make it 31-22. Late in the quarter, Shelby Stone would drain a 10 footer and after an Apache stop the offense had one more shot. On a missed shot, Sarah Puckett would tip a rebound attempt to Thomas who immediately put it up to beat the buzzer and Wabash led 35-22 with a quarter to go.
- The Lady Apaches left no doubt to start the fourth that there would be any letdown or comeback. Kyleigh Hampton hit two free throws, then a three pointer that was followed by a Claire Cromer three to open a 43-22 lead just two minutes in to the quarter. Oak Hill would go to the foul game early to try and get back in the game, but once more the Lady Apaches were up to the task at the free throw line, hitting 11 in the quarter and 8 down the stretch to seal their 6th straight sectional title 54-35.
- Leading the Wabash attack was Lyndsie Thomas with 17 points. Claire Cromer added 16, Kyleigh Hampton 13, Shelby Stone 2, Madison Braden 2, Sarah Ritter 2, Sarah Puckett 2.
- The Lady Apaches now travel to Lapel next Saturday and will take on Southmont at 12 p.m. Tipton and Shenandoah play in game one at 10 a.m.
Posted on 2014 Feb 18